Local History - Chapel Allerton
Chapel Allerton is probably most famous for its windmill. References to a windmill in the Manor of Allerton go back to 1492. In 1549 a contract was made for the rebuilding of a windmill which may have occupied the site where Ashton Mill was built in the second half of the 18th Century. Ashton Mill stopped work in 1927, and was restored in the 1950's. It was presented to Bristol City Museum in 1966.